Anthony McCall

Anthony McCall
Line Describing a Cone (1973)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

performance space

Thinking about the performance space. . .so often it is defined by hard right angles. The body moves in a curved three-dimensional environment. The performance space should reflect the way the body moves through space. The projection of light can help achieve this. If you project onto a flat rectangular screen then the effect is two-dimensional, but projecting onto a body or a rounded object can bend the light. If the audience in my performance can rotate around the moving body, I suppose the projection sources can vary from above and various side angles. I love the way artist Anthony McCall uses light to sculpt space.

No comments:

"Between You and I" (2006)

"Between You and I"  (2006)
Anthony McCall